Friday, January 22, 2016

Gimme Some Motörhead


As I'm sure you're all aware Lemmy Kilmister, the founder member of the band Motörhead, died recently. Ever since I was a young boy Lemmy has been something of a hero to me, so when I heard of his death I felt a genuine sadness and a sense of loss. Motörhead were the first band I discovered for myself, they introduced me to a whole new world of music that changed me and my life forever. Motörhead, and metal in general, has given me a release I wouldn't otherwise have, a safe way of de-stressing and working out my pent up aggression. I am a better person for having the music of Motörhead in my life.

I was 12 when I first discovered Motörhead, my parents had recently given me a small CD player for my birthday and I was searching the bargain bins of local shops for any cheap CDs that appealed to me. I pulled out a cd called "The Best Of Motörhead" and was immediately struck by the image on the case, a snarling monstrous chrome pigs head with giant tusks and bright red eyes. That was the first CD I ever chose myself and paid for with my own money, I rushed home and immediately put the CD in my player and started to listen. It was a sound like I'd never heard before, it was loud and fast and heavy and aggressive. Listening to it made me feel energised, it made me want to growl, I listened to it almost exclusively for several weeks. Over time I bought more CDs and discovered more bands, I tested my personal preferences and developed my own taste. No matter what I listened to it always came back to Motörhead, they were my starting point and Lemmy was the nucleus of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment