Monday, September 20, 2010

Tell Me Why I Don't Like Mondays

I'm starting to understand the apparent hatred of Mondays that exists in the general populace as I, myself, am starting to develop it. Fortunately for me I have my two oldest and most faithful friends to keep me, more or less, sane, alcohol and fiction.

I have recently started to read Jason Bradbury's Dot.Robot and I am enjoying it very much. I have to admit when I first came across it, tossed at the back of a charity shop bookshelf, I didn't hold up much hope for it. But the cover interested me and the fact that I recognised the name of the author lead me to part with the mammoth amount of 20p, which I now consider money well spent I might add. At first it seems slightly childish, almost as if the author is the main character himself (as there is no doubt many parallels between the two) writing a fantasy about himself as a form of escapism. As you work into the book, however, it becomes more developed and takes on a stronger form and a sort of realism of it's own, generally helped by the authors understanding of current and, not to far, future gadgets and technology. I am only half way through the book myself so can not really comment any further and as always I am loath to post spoilers, I expect to finish it within the next few days so I may talk more about it then, however, I may not.

Current To Read Pile:
The Dangerous Book For Men
James May - How To Land An A330 Airbus
Arthur C Clarke - Profiles Of The Future
Arthur Connan Doyle - The Lost World
Terry Brooks - The Sword Of Shannara
Victor Canning - The Melting Man
Linda Lowery - Spell Of The Winter Wizard
Andrzej Sapkowski - The Last Wish
Max Brooks - The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From The Living Dead

Current To Play Pile:
The Witcher Enhanced Edition
Mount and Blade: Warband
Fable III (Upon release)

No comments:

Post a Comment