Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Simple Apple And Blackberry Tart

As a general rule I prefer savoury foods, however, every now and then I fancy a little bit of something sweet for dessert. I like my desserts a little old school, I like them to remind me of my childhood and I personally can't think of a more nostalgia inducing, homely and satisfying dessert than apple and blackberry pie. Unfortunately I'm lazy and for the most part I don't want to invest the time and effort required to make a full on pie. That's where this recipe steps in, now I know this is technically a tart, but this is probably the quickest and simplest tart recipe imaginable.

You will need:
200g white sugar
50ml water
50g butter
6 medium apples, halved and cored
100g blackberries, frozen or fresh
1 sheet ready-made puff pastry

Method:
1. Add the sugar and water to a 20cm heavy-based ovenproof frying pan and cook over a low heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture turns a caramel colour, avoid stirring at this point as this will cause the sugar to crystallise.
2. Take off the heat, add in the butter and stir until well combined.
3. Arrange the apples in the pan, round-side down, put back on the heat and cook for 4 minutes.
4. Fill in any gaps between the apples with blackberries, cook for a further minute before taking off the heat and allowing to cool completely.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
6. Unroll the puff pastry onto a floured surface and prick all over with a fork.
7. Drape the pastry over the top of the apples and blackberries and trim with scissors leaving 2-3cm of excess around the edge.
8. Tuck in the excess pasty around the edges of the apples and blackberries.
9. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.

Notes:
To make this a little bit more seasonal add 1 tsp of mixed spice to the mixture when you add in the butter. recipe, food, foodie, food blog, cook, cooking, cooked, home cook, home cooked, home cooking, home made, homemade, old school, nostalgic, apple pie, apple tart, tarte tatin,

No comments:

Post a Comment