Wednesday, February 6, 2019

More Late Night Thoughts

I lie here in my bed, it’s well after midnight and my mind is racing. I’m thinking about my poorly paid dead end job, money worries, getting up early, having no real free time and the general futility and mundanity of life, it’s depressing. I eventually find the comfy spot in my broken, lumpy bed, I’m wrapped up warm in my duvet and several blankets. There’s a hazy smoke in the air from my pipe and burning incense. My room is lit by a single small candle, it’s burning low, flickering and on the verge of sputtering out. My window is wide open letting in the cold night air and the gentle sound of the rain. I’m slowly beginning to relax, my mind finally begins blocking out the background noise of my thoughts and the sounds of the inconsiderate coming from outside. The real world is melting away and my mind wanders to my own personal happy place.

I’m in my bed and my mind is quiet. I’m comfortable and wrapped up warm in my duvet and several blankets. There’s a hazy smoke in the air from my pipe, the fireplace and burning incense. My room is lit by the fire and a single small candle, both are burning low, flickering and on the verge of sputtering out. My window is wide open letting in the cold night air and the gentle sound of the rain. If I listen carefully I can hear the wind in the trees and the faint sounds of nocturnal woodland creatures avoiding the downpour. My old stone cottage was built at the end of a lane on a small hill, it’s full of books, rustic furniture and the smells of cooking. It’s not in best of conditions, but it’s cosy and dry and I know enough about DIY and building to keep it that way. There’s trees on 3 sides of it and a small garden full of herbs, vegetables, a wood pile and a couple of small animal pens on the other. I don’t have a lot, my lifestyle is far from frivolous, but I have everything I need and my time is my own. It’s not the easiest life, it can be hard work at times, but I’m content and happy.

My alarm goes off, I wake up, shower and get ready for work. It may have been just a dream, but it’s always there and it helps keep me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment