Friday, March 8, 2019

So I’ve Been Learning To Drive...

I've been having driving lessons off and on for the last few years and up until recently I've not had all that much success, however, about 4 months ago I got a new instructor and since then I feel like I've been making some really good progress, everything is starting to feel more natural, I'm making less mistakes and I'm even starting to feel confident when I'm on the road, a total lack of confidence being one of the main reasons that I've put off learning to drive for so long. That was up until Monday morning when I received a message from my driving instructor saying that he was going to have to cancel all lessons for the foreseeable future due to a medical issue and, whilst I do genuinely hope that he's ok and gets well soon, I'm now a little worried about what this means for me and the progress I've made. Learning to drive for me has been a long, expensive slog, I'm currently on my 8th driving instructor in 3 years and with most of them I feel like I ended up spending a small fortune, but having absolutely nothing to show for it. I'm not saying that they were bad instructors, though 1 of them had to stop teaching altogether after failing his ADI standards check, another was such a dick that I couldn't understand how he managed to retain any customers and another just stopped showing up after 4 lessons, just that for whatever reason I either couldn't get on with them on a personal level or that their teaching style just didn't work for me and I felt like I wasn't actually learning anything. Essentially it's taken me 3 years to find an instructor that I can get on with and who's teaching methods have enabled me to make any real progress. I don’t want to sit and wait for him to be back on his feet and start teaching again because that may never happen, he’s coming up to retirement age, he only works part time and he’s doing it more to stay active, and to physically get out of the house, than because actually needs the income. I don’t want to stop making progress, but my worry is that it's going to take me a long time, and who knows how much money wasted, to find another instructor that I get on with and, when I finally do, I'll be so out of practice that I end up having to start from scratch all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment