Thursday, March 14, 2019

Why I Won't Work Late

Some people say I'm lucky because I have the type of job where I rarely stay late and I hardly ever have to bring work, physically at least, home with me. Unfortunately for me lucky isn't exactly how I'd describe my working situation.

The reason I rarely stay late isn't because the company I work for is a compassionate employer that values their employees and wants them to have a good work/life balance. The reason I rarely stay late is because the company I work for refuse to pay their employees overtime and don't show any appreciation, or even really acknowledge, when their staff go above and beyond for them.

The reason I don't physically bring work home with me isn't because my workload is manageable and my quarterly KPI's (key performance indicators) are generally achievable within normal working hours. The reason I don't bring work home with me is because, even though my KPI's are already quite difficult to achieve, when I do meet my targets, rather than rewarding me, they assume it means that my KPI values must be too low and adjust them to make them harder to meet for the next quarter.

The is also another, much bigger reason as to why I neither stay late nor bring work home with me and that is my wage. Although I am paid above minimum wage, my hourly rate is so low that, taking into account that the company refuse to pay overtime, it makes absolutely no sense for me to give up my own time for nobody but the companies benefit.

Simply put the company I work for doesn’t make it worth my while, in any way, shape or form, to work beyond my contracted hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment